The first bridges to connect the Ness Islands were built through the
fund-raising efforts of Joseph Mitchell the civil engineer. The island
bank road bridge was the first to be built, erected in 1829, followed
by the Generals Well Bridge several years later. These were chain
Unfortunately while enough money was raised to build the bridges no
allowance was made for maintenance and the bridges fell into disrepair.
They were washed away in the 1849 flood which also washed away the
main Ness bridge .
Old wooden Bridge
The next set of bridges designed by James Dredge were also suspension
bridges erected in position until 1987/8, when they were replaced,
though the original abutments were strengthened and retained.